Top Ten Books on Piety, Sanctification, Spiritual Growth
Recently I posted an excerpt from William Gurnall's classic work, The Christian in Complete Armour and mentioned that this was on our top ten list of books of all time on piety, sanctification, spiritual growth. A visitor asked what the other books were on this list. The following list is in no particular order but consisitute our top ten. No doubt many of you will have different books on your list so feel free to post those that have had an impact on you. These are not in any particular order.
1. The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification: Growing in Holiness by Living in Union with Christ
by Walter Marshall - Hands Down, the best human-authored book on sanctification ever produced.
2.The Life of God in the Soul of Man by Henry Scougal
Critical work! Sanctification occurs because the human soul has been united to Christ and participates in the divine nature. A person is a Christian because of what Christ has done for us, not what we do for ourselves. The Christian life is the same as He and continues to live and intercede for us. He is our sanctification.
3. The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes
If you lack assurance, are hurting, weak and suffering under the burden of sin, read this book, and by reading you will be amazed how helpful this is to yourself and your ministry to others.
04. The Mortification of Sin by John Owen
Truly an amazing book. John Owen never dissapoints. Our favorite Puritan author. In a related work, Owen's treatment of the Holy Spirit is the finest we have ever read.
05. Crook in the Lot (Hardback) by Thomas Boston
One of our favorite books of all time. While this book is about providence and the sovereignty of God, the depth of Boston's biblical insight will help you better get a bird's eye view of reality resulting in a life of genuine piety. We studied through this book with our early morning men's group and the result was changed lives.
06. The Fear of God by John Bunyan
This is a great book to give anyone new to the faith and a blessing to those who have already been Christians. A true classic which I am currently reading and benefitting immensely from.
07. Everlasting Righteousness, Horatius Bonar - The Everlasting Righteousness may be the best book on the doctrine of justification by faith alone ever written. Presented here in modern English and spelling, Bonars classic book is a clear and accurate explanation of the heart of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Although this book is about justificaiton, this is the most foundational book we have found as a basis of understanding sanctification.
08. The Doctrine of Sanctification by A.W. Pink
Here Pink compiles the best teaching on sanctification through church history.
09. Holiness by J.C. Ryle
Truly a rich little gem that is to be read and reread. Classic!.
10. The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall (Pub. 1662-1665)
This is, no doubt, the most comprehensive work ever written on the subject of spiritual warfare. Itâ€™s a massive tome, but there are few books in existence that I would recommend more highly. Very Edifying. A must own for your library.
Ok ... those are the top ten but I will list some others which come close
Renewal As a Way of Life: A Guidebook for Spiritual Growth Richard F. Lovelace
Desiring God by John Piper
The Cross-Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney (Author)